Sunday, February 9, 2014

What do you do post-graduation?

That seems to be the most simple, yet most potent question anyone who is preparing for life after school either asks themselves or is asked by others.  People have a wide range of answers, anywhere from having the whole situation planned out to make a smooth transition all the way to not having a clue what to do.  I tend to fall on the latter part of that spectrum.  I seriously have no clue what's going to happen after I graduate from Central Michigan University and I envy everyone in my class that has a plan.  The question then becomes, why?

Well, for one thing I am in a field where you don't know what's going to happen.  You live on the seat of your pants.  I would love to stay in state at least to start out my life but I could just as easily end up elsewhere in such exotic and lovely states as Idaho or Nebraska.

I graduate in May with a degree in Broadcast and Cinematic Arts or in more simple terms, Broadcasting. I've always had such a passion for it.  My dream is to one day become a news anchor.  I know I'll have to bust my a** off to get there but I cling on to the fact that I am good enough to get there.  Cocky? Sure.  Don't get me wrong, that's not who I am as a person.  Anyone who knows me, knows I come across as the complete opposite.  I digress.

I didn't always see myself as a reporter/anchor.  I originally wanted to go into the world of sports broadcasting until I got hands-on experience as a play-by-play and color commentator for baseball.  Boy, I sounded like an idiot to be perfectly blunt.  Yet, I was not doomed.  I was encouraged to audition for a spot as a news anchor for CMU's student-ran news program, News Central 34.  I got the gig and later develop a love for news and now haven't looked back.

You may be thinking that if I found something I love and am good at, then why haven't I made a plan to attack that field and get a job? The answer is simple.  I don't know.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  Who knew I would be changing my life-long dream to be a sports play-by-play man to a different dream? You have to take these life defining moments one day at a time.  I'm a firm believer in going with the flow.

My point is, you may think you have a plan for the future but until you go through experiences you may have to change everything you thought you wanted to do.  It may happen again.  And again.  and again.

If you're interested, I was involved this past week in an exciting opportunity to be a panelist thanks to the help of CMU's grad student, Makenzie Walter. It was alot of fun.  Yes, I am aware this video is sports related, after I just crushed my own sports broadcasting performance.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jr2WgLszM




1 comment:

  1. It's great to see you have such a passion for something, Joe! It can be a bit scary sometimes to follow your dreams, especially when you have no idea how it is going to turn out (but who does?). All you can do is keep pursuing what you love and know that if you work hard enough, it WILL pay off!

    ReplyDelete